At Petco, our complete care commitment goes beyond caring for the basic needs of pets. That goes for the care we give the pets in our stores and the help we give their pet parents so they get great care when they go home. We want all pets to enjoy safe, healthy environments where they feel loved, happy, comfortable and secure. It’s part of our WholePets commitment and it’s why we do what we do.
We believe it’s our duty to nurture the complete health and well-being of animals. Our people make it happen.
To be part of Petco’s team, our associate partners…
- make animals feel loved, happy, comfortable and secure at all times
- treat animals humanely at all times.
- successfully complete all required training and pass a comprehensive exam before working with animals in our stores.
- adhere to stringent, industry-leading animal care policies, procedures and veterinary-approved guidelines.
- ensure fresh food and water is available to all animals at all times.
- inspect animal habitats hourly and ensure they have what they need and that any animal requiring care gets it.
- immediately separate any animal with any illness from other animals for treatment by the store’s veterinarian as soon as possible.
- ensure all animal habitats meet veterinarian-approved guidelines, including appropriate food, materials and the number of animals housed in each.
- work with Petco’s Animal Care Service Managers (ACSMs) to ensure all animal care standards are met at all times.
- work with the local veterinarian partners to provide additional animal care and support as needed.
- immediately report any non-compliance with our animal care policies either to a Petco manager or to our anonymous Animal Care Hotline.
Our Petco family is made up of pet lovers who are passionate about the health, safety and well-being of all animals. We’re committed to taking excellent care of the pets in our stores. However, with more than 25,000 associates, isolated mistakes can happen. We are deeply distressed if we hear of any animal receiving improper care. When we learn of a concern in our stores, we investigate immediately and take prompt, appropriate action. Anyone with a concern or question about animal care in our stores can contact us directly at 888-824-7257.
If we hear about a specific concern involving animals in our care, we will immediately:
- ask for complete details, including store location, animals involved and any other pertinent information.
- investigate the situation with the help of appropriate management and Companion Animal Specialists.
- take appropriate action, including terminating the employment of any associate who has not adhered to Petco’s animal care standards.